Thursday, April 2, 2009

Relate Theater to your Passions and Hobbies

My passions and hobbies include numerous things, such as reading, watching movies, and watching television shows; I also people-watch in my spare time. I picked up this habit from working at Idlewild as a teenager, and now have made it a part of my day-to-day life. Theater can, and is, involved in a major portion of my life. It was not until taking the course that I realized what a profound impact theater and its tributaries have on my life.
Reading, for instance, can obviously be interpreted into theater. Just lately, I have started to read Twilight, with its sequels New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn. In the books themselves, they often refer to such plays as Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream and Romeo and Juliet. I have read both of these plays in the past, the references in the novels made sense to me. It had been awhile though, so I thought I would give myself a chance to reread them. Already has theater affected my favorite and foremost hobby.
Continuing on the Twilight path, theater again comes into play. Twilight has recently made into a major motion picture, and its immediate sequel New Moon is due in theaters this summer. There are many books, which make it to the big screen, including Harry Potter, Girl with a Pearl Earring, and The Golden Compass. The directors always bring their own personal interpretation of the books to share with the respective communities. Catherine Hardwicke, Twilight’s director, had a very somber, yet personal relationship with the books, which translated onto the screen. The director for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Alfonso Cuaron, did an embarrassing job translating the book to the screen, as his vision differed greatly from the large Harry Potter fan base.
While at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania, I often have a few spare minutes with which to read. I tend to blend into the surroundings, and people do not notice me much. This suits me, as needless conversation with fake people just steals time out of my day. However, theater, along with my people-watching habit, as formed an ability to see people for what they truly are, and I am now able to recognize when a person is acting without knowing it.
When you are in class with the same people every day, you eventually get to know them; or their habits, at least. You can watch a girl attempt to flirt, claiming she knows about hockey. She also play hits or fights with her possible significant other. It is intriguing to watch. At the same time, the object of the attention may not want to be receiving the play-acting compliment, but then must also act himself so as to not hurt the girl’s feelings. It is just an endless circle of polite acting.
Much of my is centered around theater -- whether it be teachers trying to be polite to offensive students or Kristen Stewart trying to be flustered during Twilight -- and it will continue to be until I am retired and a hermit.

No comments:

Post a Comment